Spring is in the air–literally–as there is a special sublime smell in the air as the earth, which has been frozen & dormant over winter, warms up and reaches a temperature for plants to flourish. It’s also the time when the axis of the earth increases its tilt relative to the sun so the days are filled with light longer. This combination of events causes flowers & plants to “spring forth”. It’s a perfect time to sow seeds–which brings me to the parable Jesus told in Luke 8:4-15:
A sower went out to sow his seed. As he sowed, some fell by the wayside and were trampled down & eaten by the birds. Some fell on rock and as soon as it sprang up, it withered away because it lacked moisture. And some fell among thorns, and the thorns sprang up with it and choked it. But others fell on good ground, sprang up, and yielded a crop a hundredfold.
After hearing this parable, the disciples of Jesus asked him the meaning, which he explained:
- The seed = the word of God
- Seed that fell by the wayside = those who hear the word but the devil is able to steal the word away out of their hearts otherwise they would believe & be saved.
- Seed that fell on the rock = those who when they hear, they receive the word with joy but because they have no root, they believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away.
- Seed that fell among thorns = those when they hear the word go out and are choked with the cares, riches & pleasures of life and are unable to bring fruit to maturity.
- Seed that falls on the good ground = those who, having heard the word with a noble & good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience.
HAPPY IS THE MAN who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly (lawless), nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scoffers; but HIS DELIGHT IS IN THE LAW OF THE LORD, and in HIS LAW HE MEDITATES DAY & NIGHT (continually & habitually). He will be like a TREE PLANTED BY THE RIVERS OF WATER, that brings forth its FRUIT IN ITS SEASON, whose LEAF also WILL NOT WITHER; and whatever he does will prosper (Psalm 1:2-3).
UNHAPPY ARE THE WICKED as chaff that the wind drives away…and will perish (Ps. 1:5-6).
The ideal conditions for a plant to grow are: sufficient sunlight, good soil, water, & protection from bugs, pests & weeds.
The ideal conditions for a Christian to grow are:
- Sufficient Son light (John 1:4, 8:12),
- Good soil (make sure to be rooted & built up in Christ–grounded in love) so that Christ may dwell in your heart through an established faith (Col. 2:7, Eph. 3:17),
- Good source of water (John 4:14, 7:38),
- Protection from bugs, pests & weeds (Eph. 6:10-18).
Some other Tips:
- To be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ, add to your faith: virtue, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness, & love (2 Peter 1:5-8).
- Prune away all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, malice & evil speaking (Eph. 4:31) and be filled with the Fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control) (Gal. 5:22-23).
- Don’t get rooted in bitterness (Heb. 12:15) or the love of money (1 Tim. 6:10).
- Don’t be deceived–whatever a man sows he will also reap, so avoid sowing in discord, strife & iniquity as they’ll lead to sorrow (Gal. 6:7-8; Prov. 6:14, 19, 16:28, 22:8).
Grow happily in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen (2 Peter 3:18). Laura 🙂